onlyCROATIA Facebook onlyCROATIA Youtube onlyCROATIA Instagram
BELGIUM: Tel: ++32/(0)474 118 946 | E-mail: sales@onlycroatia.com
CROATIA: Tel: +385(0)98/167-4446   | E-mail: info@onlycroatia.com

Dubrovnik

Dubrovnik

Position

Since 1979, on the list of "World Heritage of UNESCO", the City of Dubrovnik is practically at the southeastern end of the Adriatic Coast, southeast of the islands of Mljet and Korcula, the Peljesac peninsula, as well as Mostar, in Bosnia and Herzegovina, and northwest of Budva, Montenegro. In its immediate vicinity, we find the Elaphite archipelago, composed of three main islands (Kolocep, Lopud and Sipan) and 10 islets, which stretch out on 30km2, along the Dalmatian Coast.
The Dubrovnik region is known for its rich Mediterranean vegetation and mild climate.

History

Known from 1358 to 1808 as the Republic of Ragusa, rivaling that of Venice, Dubrovnik was, in the 15th and 16th centuries, the residence of many painters, poets, dramatists, mathematicians and other Croatian scholars. Completely destroyed by an earthquake, in 1667, the old cathedral had to be rebuilt, as well as the other churches. Devastated by the war, between 1991 and 1995, the "Old Town" was perfectly restored, its medieval ramparts, 1,940 m long, overlooking the "Old Port", its boats and its taverns. Formerly, strong of its maritime market, it found its prosperity thanks to tourism.
To enjoy a superb view, a funicular takes us to the summit of Mount Srđ, at 405 m altitude, where we can visit, in an old fortification, the "Dubrovnik Siege Museum".

Dubrovnik: What to do / What to see?

 
 
 

Indulgence and fun

In Dubrovnik you can eat grilled fish and seafood or assorted meats in many small traditional restaurants located on the seafront, facing "Fort St. Jean" (1346, current site of the "Museum of the Navy" "and the" Aquarium "). Better to taste the excellent Dalmatian cuisine, starting with a salad of octopus, grilled sardines or a frying of tiny fish, with to follow a "buzara" of mussels or scampis, a preparation based on white wine, garlic, olive oil and parsley; a "crni rižot" (black risotto), in cuttlefish ink, "pljeskavica sa sirom" (beef steak stuffed with cheese) or "ćevapčićis", elongated dumplings of lamb and beef) , these two dishes that are tasted, usually with "kajmak" (cream collected after boiling milk, from sheep's cheese) or "ajvar" (mashed red peppers and aubergines), a " sarma "(beef, ham, bacon, onions, egg, paprika and rice). Finally, for dessert, among others, the "rozata" (crème brûlée), the "kotonjata" (quince cake) and the "arancinis" (candied orange zest), with, as an aperitif or digestive, a glass of "Prošek", the latter being a traditional sweet wine produced exclusively in Croatia, whose quantity of grapes is seven times higher than that of a classic wine. To accompany the main course, the "Plavac Mali" is the most famous red wine and the white wines of Pelsejac accompany the entries very well.
Coming out of the walls of the "Old Town", we find a modern city, with its great seaport, its shopping centers and its superb hotels, offering us their beautiful buffets as well as public beaches proposing to take some moments of relaxing in the surroundings. Note that day trips allow us to make a mini-cruise among the charming Elaphiti Islands, or to go to Montenegro or Bosnia-Herzegovina.

Sports and recreation

Particularly touristy, Dubrovnik proposes us its numerous hotels, having their swimming pools and, sometimes, private beaches and many public beaches. Of course, all water sports are accessible to us (kayak, windsurfing, jet-ski, speedboat, water skiing, scuba diving, ...), but also tennis, hiking and biking, see even safaris in "buggies" ...
Everyone can, now, walk quietly, visit museums, palaces, forts and churches, photograph or film all these architectural treasures,, number of shops, well-stocked and art galleries, waiting for us on the "Placa" (artery main street, linking the "Old Port", the "Rector's Palace" (15th century) and the St. Blaise Church (1715), to the impressive "Onofrio Fountain" (built by Onofrio della Cava, a Neapolitan architect, in 1438) and the "Dominican Convent" (14th century, of the same Gothic-Renaissance style as the Palace and the church), its patio and its old pharmacy.