BELGIUM: Tel: ++32/10 779-036 | E-mail: sales@onlycroatia.com
CROATIA: Tel: +385(0)98/167-4446 | E-mail: info@onlycroatia.com

Makarska (Croatia // Central Dalmatia // Makarska riviera)

Makarska
Excursions
Mountain Hiking: Biokovo
Biokovo is a part of the Dinaric Mountains and as such has a direction of NW-SE. The material in the lower parts towards the sea and on the ...
Total excursions:
1
Beaches
Baska voda
Baska voda
Distances: 8.79 km
Pebble
Pokonji dol
Pokonji dol
Distances: 47.74 km
Rock, Pebble
Duilovo
Duilovo
Distances: 47.97 km
Pebble, Concrete
Žnjan
Žnjan
Distances: 49.06 km
Pebble
Trstenik
Trstenik
Distances: 49.56 km
Rock, Pebble

Position

Makarska is a city located along the Adriatic coast, within the Split-Dalmatia county of Croatia. It is also considered the center of the tourist area known as the Makarska Riviera. The city also features several beautiful beaches, some of them frequented by nude bathers. The warm climate and the friendly atmosphere of the city ensure that Makarska is one of the most frequented tourist destination in the country. Like most of the cities of Croatia, Makarska boasts of a rich culture and heritage. One of its most prominent landmarks is the Franciscan monastery that houses an extensive collection of seashells collected locally and from around the world. Within the city, especially in its older parts, are old buildings and homes that are quite interesting to behold. Looming over the cityscape of Makarska is the mountain of Biokovo, which is designated as a nature park because of its ecological biodiversity. A day trip to this area will also let visitors pass by some of the quaint villages located at the foot of the mountain. These villages also feature some interesting buildings that are examples of rustic rural architecture. Visitors can also explore some of the fruit orchards and olive groves common in the area, to further gain an authentic rural experience in the area.
 
Makarska: What to do / What to see?
MAKARSKA MUNICIPAL MUSEUM
Botanical Garden Kotišina
Mala Duba Beach
Shell Museum
 

History

Pre-history
Near present-day Makarska, there was a settlement as early as the middle of the 2nd millennium BC. It is thought that it was a point used by the Cretans on their way up to the Adriatic (the so-called "amber route"). However it was only one of the ports with links with the wider Mediterranean, as shown by a copper tablet with Cretan and Egyptian systems of measurement. A similar tablet was found in the Egyptian pyramids. In the Illyrian era this region was part of the broader alliance of tribes, led by the Ardaeans, founded in the third century BC in the Centina area (Omiš) down to the River Vjosë in present-day Albania.

The Roman era
Although the Romans became rulers of the Adriatic by defeating the Ardiaei in 228, it took them two centuries to confirm their rule. The Romans sent their veteran soldiers to settle in Makarska.

After the division of the Empire in 395, this part of the Adriatic became part of the Eastern Roman Empire and many people fled to Muccurum from the new wave of invaders. The city appeares in the Tabula Peutingeriana as the port of Inaronia, but is mentioned as Muccurum, a larger settlement that grew up in the most inaccessible part of Biokovo mountain, probably at the very edge of the Roman civilisation. It appears on the acts of the Salonan Synod of 4 May 533 AD held in Salona (533), when also the town's diocese was created.

Early Middle Ages
During the Migration Period, in 548, Muccurum was destroyed by the army of the Ostrogoth king Totila. The byzantine Emperor expelled the Eastern Goths (Ostrogoths).

In the 7th century the region between the Cetina and Neretva was occupied by the Narentines, with Mokro, located in today's Makarska, as its administrative centre. The doge of Venice Pietro I Candiano, whose Venetian fleet aimed to punish the piratesque activities of the city's vessels, was defeated here on September 18, 877 and had to pay tribute to the Narentines for the free passage of its ships on the Adriatic.

Late Middle Ages
The principality was annexed to the Kingdom of Croatia in the 12th century, and was conquered by the Republic of Venice a century later. Making use of the rivalry between the Croatian leaders and their power struggles (1324–1326), the Bosnian Ban Stjepan II Kotromanić annexed the Makarska coastal area. There were many changes of rulers here: from the Croatian and Bosnian feudal lords, to those from Zahumlje (later Herzegovina).

In the eventful 15th century the Ottomans conquered the Balkans. In order to protect his territory from the Turks, Duke Stjepan Vukčić Kosača handed the region to the Venetians in 1452. The Makarska coastal area fell to the Turks in 1499.

Under the Turks

Map depicting the Turks trying to recapture Makarska after the Battle of Lepanto in 1571.
Under the Ottoman rule, the city was surrounded with walls that had three towers. The name Makarska was cited for the first time in a 1502 document telling how nuns from Makarska were permitted to repair their church.
The Turks had links with all parts of the Adriatic via Makarska and they therefore paid a great deal of attention to the maintenance of the port. In 1568 they built a fortress as defence against the Venetians. During Turkish rule the seat of the administrative and judicial authority was in Foča, Mostar, for a short time in Makarska itself and finally in Gabela on the River Neretva.

During the Candian War between Venice and the Turks (1645–1669) the desire among the people of the area to be free of the Turks intensified, and in 1646 Venice recaptured the coastline. But a period of dual leadership lasted until 1684, until the danger of the Turks ended in 1699.

Once more under the Venetians
In 1695 Makarska became the seat of a bishopric and commercial activity came to life, but it was a neglected area and little attention was given to the education of its inhabitants. At the time when the people were fighting against the Turks, and Venice paid more attention to the people's demands. According to Alberto Fortis in his travel chronicles (18th century), Makarska was the only town in the coastal area, and the only Dalmatian town where there were absolutely no historical remains.

After the fall of the Venetian Republic, it was given to the Austrians by the Treaty of Campo Formio (1797).

From 1797 to 1813
With the fall of Venice, the Austrian army entered Makarska and remained there until Napoleon took the upper hand. The French arrived in Makarska on 8 March 1806 and remained until 1813. This was an age of prosperity, cultural, social and economic development. Under French rule all the people were equal, and education laws written, for the first time in many centuries, in the Croatian language were passed. Schools were opened. Makarska was at this time a small town with about 1580 inhabitants.

Under the Austrians (1813-1918)
As in Dalmatia as a whole, the Austrian authorities imposed a policy of Italianization, and the official language was Italian. The Makarska representatives in the Dalmatian assembly in Zadar and the Imperial Council in Vienna demanded the introduction of the Croatian language for use in public life, but the authorities steadfastly opposed the idea. One of the leaders of the National (pro-Croatian) Party was Mihovil Pavlinović of Podgora. Makarska was one of the first communities to introduce the Croatian language (1865). In the second half of the 19th century Makarska experienced a great boom and in 1900 it had about 1800 inhabitants. It became a trading point for agricultural products, not only from the coastal area, but also from the hinterland (Bosnia and Herzegovina) and had shipping links with Trieste, Rijeka and Split (city).

The Congress of Vienna assigned Makarska to Austria-Hungary, under which it remained until 1918.

The 20th century
In the early 20th century agriculture, trade and fishing remained the mainstay of economy. In 1914 the first hotel was built, beginning the tourism tradition in the area. During World War II Makarska was part of the Independent State of Croatia. It was a port for the nation's navy and served as the headquarters of the Central Adriatic Naval Command, until it was moved to Split.

After the war Makarska experienced a period of growth, and the population tripled. All the natural advantages of the region were used to create in Makarska one of the best known tourist areas on the Croatian Adriatic.
 
HOTELS
 
PRIVATE ACCOMMODATION
 
 
Video
There are no available videos from this location
 
 
partner login
CROATIA | Tel: +385 (0)98/167-4446 | E-mail: info@onlycroatia.com | BELGIUM | Tel:++32/10 779-036 | E-mail: sales@onlycroatia.com
Onlycroatia.com No.1 Travel Agency
Destinations | Tours | Hotels | Car rental | Excursions | Nautical tourism
How to book?
About us | Contacts | How to book?/Payments | Terms and conditions | FAQ | Useful links
Towns // What to do / What to see?
Split | Dubrovnik | Trogir | Zadar | Rovinj | Pula || Ljubljana | Bled || Kotor || Sarajevo

Facebook Youtube Contact u via Skype PayPal
"VinisCMS" - Održavanje i distribucija: Vinis-WebDeveloping
www.vinis.hr | denis@vinis.hr
Sva prava pridržana. Onlycroatia.com 2004-2017